Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Why I like stupid movies...

Movies are entertainment: Say it with me - EN-TER-TAIN-MENT... you do not always have to walk away from a movie with a profound sense of enlightenment, weeping for man's inhumanity to man, or touched beyond reason by the abiding love of the main characters... sometimes, it's OK to just enjoy the show! Right now, I'm watching a pretty stupid movie that I've seen a hundred times before, but it's fun to sit back and take in the awful lines and bad costumes. Movies are a great escape: Even a really bad movie might have amazing scenery, a cool soundtrack, or you might see a future star in an early appearance onscreen (Matt Damon in Mystic Pizza, anyone?).
Obscure references in movies can unite groups of people. For instance, the Pharmeceutically-Enhanced Goddess has an away message set to a line from her favorite movie, and people correct her, telling her the word is supposed to be "ruckus"... but they've completely mistaken the line, and the movie itself. She's proud of loving films that very few people have seen, and shares her favorites with close friends. I'm going back to watching my movie now, have a good night.

3 comments:

Glen said...

(Matt Damon in Mystic Pizza, anyone?) And Vincent D'Onofrio too! I hope I spelled that correctly?? Mystic Pizza ia a true classic, when Kat sobs to her sister it gets me every time.

Tracy, from Serendib said...

Annabeth Gish was amazing, of course Vincent D'Onofrio, but I can't remember if that's the first movie I saw with Lilli Taylor, or if it was "Say Anything". I wouldn't be surprised if Parker Posey was in there somewhere too...

Glen said...

I love Parker Posey in Clockwatchers, with Alanna Ubach, Toni Collette and Lisa Kudrow. A great little film that never got much attention but had some great performances. For the record I'm watching Fletch(for the God knows how many-eth time) right now. Simple joys and simple pleasures for simple-minded me!!