Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Being "Less Than"

A while back I stumbled into a phrase that explains a lot, quickly, when I use it as an internal editor, and whenever I introduce someone else to it, they seem to understand exactly what I mean: Less Than. It's become something more than what it started as, and now I'm putting it out there to see if anyone else gets it.

I have been made to feel Less Than someone else, and it sucks, so I try not to make other people feel that way.

I have given Less Than my best effort, and I failed, miserably, so I try harder the next time I'm given an opportunity.

Tonight for work, I sat in on a conference call, more like an hour an a half talk by a life coach, and a lot of what she said was the usual drivel that anyone who's sat through any motivational speaker could parrot back. There were a few challenges and comments that stuck out, however, about attitude, discipline, accountability, and getting out of your own way. What this all had to do with the Less Than thing was this: in every area where I've been giving Less Than, I've been getting Less Than. In relationships where I've been Less Than 100% in, I've been Less Than loved. In my work, where I've done Less Than what I could do, I've been Less Than successful. My crappy attitude, lack of discipline, no sense of accountability, and generally being my own worst enemy has gotten me Less Than what I want. Time to change all this? I'll keep you informed...

No comments: