Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Snooping and Peeking

Recent personal events have gotten me thinking about how to figure out what a person is like when you have relatively little time to do so. Which would be easier: to ask, and hope that the answers that you get are open, honest and unrehearsed? OR to snoop through a person's book, music, and movie collections to see what stimulates their mind? The internet encourages us to post our "favorites" on every profile page that we fill out. Is this a subtle, sneaky way to reveal more about our psyches than we ordinarily would, or is it just a ploy to figure out what we'll buy next? It seems I'm generating more questions than answers. What a person chooses to let into their eyes and ears indicates as much about their personality as what they choose to wear, drive, or otherwise consume.

Today was supposed to be my first bike-riding lesson, but CK called yesterday to let me know that he's got an opportunity to play softball on a league this summer, and since they have a game today, would it be alright to reschedule? I was looking forward to finally getting this together, but since I hadn't bought a helmet yet, it was not a huge deal to acquiesce. At the time he called, I was driving, didn't have my calendar with me, and was really unprepared to talk to him for whatever reason. The weather yesterday was crappy as heck, rainy led to stormy, so I'm not sure the ground conditions would be optimal for this adventure anyway. It's possible that we'll be getting it all together on Sunday, depending on coordination of priorities and schedules.

No comments: